I wasn't sure about how much I cared about the Oregon ballot, because there's a chance I won't be here when the stuff is taking effect. Still, I voted. There was one measure in particular I thought about for a while before making my decision - Measure 73, which did 2 things: raise the minimum sentence for a second conviction of a "major sex crime" to 25 years, and institute a mandatory 90 day sentence for anyone convicted of a third DUII in a 10 year period. Do you notice what I did? That those two things are wildly different and really should not be included in the same vote? It's like someone tacked a rider onto the sex offender measure, because who wants to be the person who voted no on longer terms for the real sickos?
Well, I do, apparently. I'm no expert on addiction, but I generally fall into the camp that says jail sentences don't solve anything for addicts. The 10 year period also was a huge red flag for me; some dummy who makes mistakes when he's 21 can get hit for something 9 years later? I'm in no way condoning driving under the influence, but that's not a solution to me.
Unfortunately, not enough Oregon voters agree with me, because the measure looks to pass. That bums me out. "We" also voted not to enlarge the medical marijuana program in place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment