Monday, May 11, 2009

Maybe it ain't so bad

I should probably be drawn and quartered as an English graduate for having used "ain't" in the title. Meh.

For some reason, the weekends here lately have been magnificent outside. Yesterday I took one of my low-to-the-ground folding chairs to the park and read for 2+ hours. It probably barely cracked 70 degrees yesterday, but it was lovely. Yes, it will rain more this week, but no matter. I've come to realize that while I enjoy the wet weather, it helps you enjoy the dry days that much more - especially when it's mid-May and struggling to get out of the 60s. Meanwhile, back in Sac, it's cresting 80 this week. By the time I show up for my birthday (zomg - 30 in 13 days?), it will probably be getting close to 90. Because the valley sucks. It does seem like it's been unnaturally cool though this year, so maybe not.

With my latest potted plant of a relationship seeing the pot smashed open and the water vacuumed out before being able to take root, I thought perhaps that it might be a good time to re-examine where I'm headed. No, I don't mean the possibly not-really-imminent Portland move. Having passed quickly through the crisis phase of my latest bout of "wtf am I doing" syndrome, I've settled in to the "maybe if I ignore it, it will go away" phase. It's far more comforting here, because I don't have to think about it. Now, however, with distractions removed, I have no choice. What should I do? What narrowly defined field do I think might make me happy for 2 or 3 years (because that seems to be all I can wring out of any one interest), and can I go back to school for it? If I'll be in Portland just prior to the spring semester, now seems like a good time to start grasping at straws.

It's funny how the biggest city in the state has neither of the most well-known universities. On the other hand, Portland State's mascot is the Viking. How perfect is that?

Would it behoove me to jaunt through a program that could improve my work? Find something that could be work-related AND, dare I say it, otherwise useful? Or just say "jog on" and see how far the company is willing to stretch the meaning of "job-related course work"?

Yeah, this does resemble square one.

No comments: