The short version: WTF does the title mean?
The long version:
After I finished watching the movie, it occurred to me that what it really seemed to be was Casino Royale Part 2, because it basically continued where the last movie left off, and added very little to the plot at large. It laid the groundwork for the next in the series to be sure, but that's what a single movie should do, while this was an extended cut of what they couldn't fit into CR (which was still pretty long). Most of the reason I say that is because of my short version - I think I heard the word "Quantum" once - way at the end - and never heard the word "Solace". New minor villain, new Bond girl who really wasn't particularly important or necessary, and what for me was a first in a film - a car chase, foot chase, boat chase, and plane chase, in that order. Either the original source was a little too long to be crammed into CR, or it was far too flimsy to stand on its own and had to be fluffed up with a lot of guns.
I am in no way saying it was a bad movie; I like Daniel Craig as Bond a lot, though I'm not even sure he introduced himself as such in this movie...everyone already seemed to know who he was.
The new Bond movies seem to have a lot more edge to them than the previous set with Pierce Brosnan; granted, we are seeing Bond at the beginning before he is apparently refined into a womanizing super-agent - wait, no. He is just meaner. And there's no Q. There's also really no way that, at least, in this one, they were going to top the best line from the last film: "Everyone's going to know you died scratching my balls." Here's hoping the next one out puts a lot more detail into the shadow organization terrorizing MI-6, or it's going to get really boring, really fast.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
He can do no wrong. None.
Post a Comment