Preface: I don't think I've ever read an X-Men comic book, but I have some knowledge of the universe. I am not a hardcore, "I can't believe that's how they did Deadpool" type fan, but I like when they keep characters in line with how the comics portray them, allowing for some modern tweaks (see: Iron Man).
This movie doesn't fail as a comic adaptation; it fails as a movie. It doesn't stand on its own legs simply as a film, because it's badly written and poorly directed. I want to blame FOX for this, because it seems that lately, when Marvel actually produces their own film, it comes out pretty good - while since this is now the fourth in a probably never-ending cycle of X-Men movies, and it's pretty well established that people will pay to see them despite any shortcomings, they really don't have to worry that much about how good it is. I think with someone like Nolan or Singer behind the film, it could have been better. What should have I expected from a director that had no business helming this, and the guy who wrote the screenplay for "Troy"?
Maybe I'm weird for suggesting this, but in a movie about mutants and superheroes and things that defy the everyday reality, I still expect the people (who are still quite human) to act like people. This is where I can't understand how nobody read through this script and asked the questions I have been asking since I saw the movie last night. How can a character basically claim that he will kill another character the next time they meet, get even more motivation to do so, then show up and walk out the door? How does the same character over and over get betrayed and humiliated by the people he should be able to trust most, but not finish things when he has the chance? They act like they are in a movie, and that's disappointing.
And then there's the bizarre holes in the story, which I probably can't properly address without giving things away.
I'm not sure how many of you are like me and are bothered by things like this; and I'm not nitpicking, to be sure. These are major plot points that just suck. It can still be enjoyed from an actiony entertainment standpoint, and I'm sure most of the other millions of people who saw it this weekend will be totally cool with that alone. Not me. If I leave a movie and I actually get more frustrated talking about it, then I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd like. At least Ryan Reynolds was funny.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment