Note: I wrote this before leaving the hotel this morning, but didn't finish. Will complete the blogging this evening now that I'm home.
Oregon was playing an early afternoon game in Eugene, and the Beavers had a home game a few hours later, so lots of cars on the road were proudly displaying their Green/Yellow or Orange/Black. Normally the road is not that busy, but that plus the early rain apparently was just too much for someone to handle, so they had to crash their car. The rest of the drive was pleasant enough; the last 25 miles or so before Newport are beautiful, and I love the last hill that one crests before entering the city. Trees line both sides of the road, and you come up over a ridge to see the ocean out in front of you. It's amazing.
Started driving down the 101, saw my hotel, and kept going. Wasn't quite ready for lunch, so I popped off at Yaquina Bay State Park first. Didn't bother checking out the lighthouse itself, but walked along the water instead. That's where I started seeing all the dead stuff; some plants, but a ton of jellyfish and sadly, a seal. I am no marine biologist so I wasn't sure if the jellies were still dangerous, and I was a little worried about standing in the waves on that area of the beach. Further down the death and decay seemed to lighten up. Started to get hungry, so headed back to the car. On the way, I drove past the Coast Guard Station, which did not seem to be public-friendly :[
No idea where I wanted to eat, so I just kept driving and hoping the GPS would give me an idea. Settled on a place that sounded good, but when I got to its location, it wasn't there. I ended up in Yachats, and found a local fish house. Sat outside and had the Slumgullion, which was fantastic. One of the servers was flirting with me, so a few hours later after I was done with the beach relaxing, I came back and hit on her, but she brushed me off. Oh well. Buzzed through a little mineral/gem shop, may go back but it wasn't so amazing I had to see more. Drove back up 101 to Governor Patterson State Park, which was practically deserted (yes!). Grabbed the folding chair and set up on the beach with Speaker for the Dead by Card. Got sunburned. Walked along the beach, collecting crab shells. Most of the eyestalks were still attached, which was a little creepy.
No comments:
Post a Comment