Tuesday, January 20, 2009

For better or worse

I watched Obama's inauguration speech after work. Towards the end it sounded a little like being in church, and there was a part in the middle where I was reminded of Bill Pullman in Independence Day, but he's an excellent speaker overall.

There is an obvious undercurrent of extreme enthusiasm, and I think in some cases desperation, for this new administration. So many people are so beyond sick of what Bush did in office that they are more excited about a new president than they normally would be. I think Obama has the potential to be one of the very best presidents - but fixing health care, education, energy, and foreign policy in 4 years is simply too huge. He needs to make strong steps towards many things, and I hope that history does not judge him too harshly for not being able to somehow reverse the last 8 years in one fell swoop.

No comments: