Monday, December 29, 2008

Thanks for the help, now pay up

I read about this California Supreme Court ruling recently and...well, let's say I was not heartened. In fact, you could say I was quite disheartened. I'm not going to say that "trying to do the right thing" trumps all, especially if someone is seriously hurt and moving them could permanently injure them, as it apparently did here. What bothers me is that, yes, people will read this decision and say to themselves, in this lawsuit-happy society, why should i risk not only my neck, but my substantial assets, to save someone who may just turn around and sue me? It is a legitimate question, and I do not know the answer.

Seriously, have you seen Liar Liar? The story about the thief who falls through the skylight and lands on a knife, then sues the homeowner and wins? We are there! Cue the music!

No comments: